This quilt jumped off the wall at Broadbents and I bought the fabrics three seconds later. I really like that fabric can be an expression of admiration for an artist from another medium, like Harriet Tubman, or Eric Carle, or William Morris. I hadn't thought about Morris since college, and it confirms the fact that I neither paid enough attention in class, nor remember enough of what I saw.
I used the simple pattern that Moda came up with, but it displays the artistic fabric really well. My friend Laurel had made the sample up, and she always does a great job. I will say that very often patterns tell you to buy an excessive amount of backing, and this was the biggest overstatement I've seen. I had 3 yards left over when I was done, fortunately for my friend Amy. Plus several LARGE scraps from the top.
This was my first stab at quilting loops, and I liked the sweeping free motion of it a lot. I also liked using the gold for binding. I love the part in Runaway Bride where Joan Cusack is telling Julia Roberts that she's been married for a while and she's no longer unexpected or mysterious, just quirky. I feel the same way, so being unexpected somewhere on each quilt is my own quiet rebellion. That, and droping the word "rad" whenever the occasion permits (and sometimes when it doesn't).
2 comments:
Some think quirky to be rebelious or perhaps uncharacteristic of one's self. I believe quirkiness only enhances a person's individuality and is an endearing feature. All of us of have these "quirks". I am thankful for yours.
"Every man has his own quirks and twists" - Harriet Beecher Stowe.
Your quilt is rad! =)
Post a Comment