Friday, August 3, 2012

Granny Square Exchange


I have this daughter. She's six years old now. She's strong. She's tough. She's sassy, and not in the good way. She makes a lot of mistakes. We all do. She gets down on herself. We all do. 

Recently, in an effort to help her self-confience, she and I have been talking about happy accidents; when life doesn't go the way you wanted it to, but the result was better than you had planned. A happy accident. It happens in quilting A LOT.

Later, I was trying to get this quilt done in time for our modern quilt group's class on group exchanges, and it was hot and the kids were running amok, when I got one of the blue chevron sashings backwards from the others. I spread it out on our wood floor and when I realized what I had done, I let out a meagre cry of shock and frustration.

From the other end of the house, she came running, shouting, "Mom! This is so exciting! Is this a happy accident?" Dang. Now I was going to have to leave it that way. For her.

So Zoe, this is for you. So that you can see that happy accidents do happen. Sometimes we just need a friend to point it out to us. Thanks, I love you.


1 comment:

3inpink and 1inblue! said...

I like your thoughts on this....and how you used it as a teaching moment with your daughter. You are a great Mom.