Saturday, July 31, 2010

Monet's Dining Room

Here's the quilt to match Monet's Dining Room. I loved doing this quilt. I used the free pattern Panache, by Moda and it was really well written. As usual with Moda patterns, you were asked to buy more fabric than you needed. I can't find it on their site right now, maybe it was pulled for new ones. I had printed it when I saw it and stuck it away in my idea binder.

I also recently watched the BBC mini-series The Impressionists, and I highly recommend it. It followed the lives of Monet, Manet, Cezanne, Degas, Renoir & Bazille, as told to a reporter by an aged Monet from his land in Giverny. The movie was filmed on-site, so expect beautiful scapes. They'd have the actors painting their famous works, and then the original would be shown with the artist's name and painting's name. The soundtrack was beautiful, too. Such fascinating lives they led. And then someone misses the toilet and someone else needs a snack and my life goes on. And on, and on.


I also really love this soft blue rosette fabric in the border. It's April Cornell's Nature's Notebook, and it reminds me of Laura Ashley dresses for little girls in the '80's. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but it seems to me as the mother of a little girl, that girls don't get to be girls anymore. Soft, sweet, innocent, run through the sprinklers kind of little girls. Enough of this Forever 21 and Justice garbage hanging on the racks of most clothing stores. Enough Hannah Montana sass and Lady Gaga screaming into the microphone through her ridiculous wig. Just let my little girl be four for a while.

3 comments:

erica e said...

This is beautiful! What a great pattern. And you did such a good job of interpreting Monet's Dining room in a quilt!

Anonymous said...

AMEN...we are not doing disney channel, ever if I can help it!

Anonymous said...

Oh and I love that quilt :)