Thursday, January 21, 2010

S.O.S.

It worked. I plugged through a couple of projects (more on those later) and got the motivation to take this quilt a little each day this week. Tonight I finished it, spread it out on the floor, and I'm stumped. It's a 1940's reproduction quilt and in the pattern, there's no border, not even corner triangles (which I went ahead and added). But it seems incomplete to me. I would LOVE to hear what you, my quilt friends, think, but remember, the quilt is already a big 82" square and I'm not too interested in taking off a row. Below is what I was going to put on the back. The stripes are about 1.5" wide. I also have a Rosie the Riveter panel I could work into the backing as well.
Should I:

1. Leave it as is. Vintage respect and all that.
2. Border it with a 4" cream border to match the setting squares. Help make it look more finished, while keeping with the spirit of the quilt's look?
3. Border it with a 6" stripe mitered, bind in a neutral blue or red, and do something else on the back. Too busy, or just the right finish?

4 comments:

erica e said...

i love this! i saw this in the magazine when it came out and i'm so impressed that you made it! i like option number 2- just add a cream border. i think stripes on the outside would be too busy. the blocks are the star of this quilt and they don't need a border.

Tracey Hogan said...

I love how your song goes with your plea! You are so creative and amazing. I can't believe you did this quilt so fast!

Stephanie said...

I kind of like it the way it is. I also like the back you chose for it. If it were me I would go with what you have planned and bind it in red. There's my two cents!

Pamela said...

In my humble opinion I would leave it as is and put on a cream binding. Crazy I know, but I think a colored binding will distract. Good luck. love it anyway you decide to roll the dice.