Monday, September 12, 2011

9/11 Anniversary Tribute

I finished my Random Reflections quilt, and it looked more like a big city skyline to me, maybe because of the fabrics I used. Plus, I added an extra row to make the quilt finish a rectangle. That was last week, as everyone was preparing for 9/11. And don't you know it, life slipped into my quilting again. I love it when that happens, because quilting seeps into my life only too often.

I decided to make the Twin Towers in one row, as a tribute to the tenth anniversary of that day. I was here in Utah at work, Paul was at BYU, and two of the executives I worked for were in New York City running. Their cell coverage was intermittant and we were all so worried. But my biggest memory of that week came on Friday when we had a national day of mourning and President Bush had a religious service from the National Cathedral. (A far cry from this Sunday's "let's not invite any clergy so no one is offended" garbage.) At work we all went to the conference area to watch it on a small tv. When the congregation stood and started singing The Battle Hymn of the Republic, everyone in our office stood of their own accord and started singing in beautiful voices. I was so moved by the people I worked with. I wish our country could regain that faith and collective belief again today, without another explosion to force it on us.

3 comments:

Shop Girl said...

You are so productive! You must share your secret with me. I love the quilt and especially the tribute to remembering as well as healing. What could be more healing than a quilt. It speaks my language! "One Nation Under God"!

Pamela said...

This is a great tribute quilt. I think it is so important for our children to see us honoring the past and moving forward with hope.

3inpink and 1inblue! said...

I like the tribute and thoughts you shared. Stacy