I am an English major who graduated without reading a single George Eliot book. And I'm a woman, even worse. I should have studied her extensively, but since she got sorta lumped in with Jane Austen in my mind, I skipped her all together. But oh not for long. My book group put that to rest for me. I have just proudly finished Silas Marner (who I always thought was pronounced Mariner, what a dud!), and I have to say, for a well written book of 183 pages, she sure took her sweet time getting going.
This book was written in the 1860's, and her writing style took some getting used to, as I've given 19th century British lit a rest for over a decade. But eventually characters are developed, and eventually there is a plot. And I did like it. The ending was a bit expected, but maybe it was new and shocking for that time period. A lot has been written since then, and this may have been the reason. It will make for a good discussion, and I almost want to see Paul Giamatti play Silas in the movie.
No comments:
Post a Comment