We have piles of books distributed around the house, lest you think quilts are the only thing we do excessively here. Childrens books are so much fun, I'm going to miss them during that high school phase, before we move on to grandkids. And some childrens books have really terrific color palettes. Saturday in our Modern Quilting group I brought two of my favorites, along with a stack of solids that matched the books, to show that you can get quiltspiration out of things in your daily life as well.
I'm a big believer in color. If there's a color you love to wear, there's a reason for it. If there is a home dec panel, or season of nature's colors, or picture book that you are drawn to, I think you should go with it. Colors do mean so much to our health, and it might be that your body is needing more green or orange in your life.
So the first book I am going to quilt like is Caps For Sale, by Esphyr Slobodkina. The story is really terrific (every parent of a three year old should read it often), and I have always loved the author's color choices. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these, but I just love looking at these colors in a fabric pile.
The second book is appropriate for this time of year, The Ugly Pumpkin, by Dave Horowitz. I love the story in this book, too. And this is a harder book to talk about in fabric colors online because there is truly so many great colors in this book, used in such a modern way. This pumpkin is rejected at every turn because he's misshapen, until at the end he realizes, "OH MY GOSH I'M A SQUASH!" I love it.
And this last pile was just me getting carried away. I think we all should have third yards of lots of solids in our stash.
No comments:
Post a Comment