Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mia's Before & After

This is Laura's old baby quilt. I cut it apart and saved the sweet pieced squares that were salvageable, and redid it. She wanted me to combine her husband's baby blanket, too, so the Sesame Street in Mia's quilt is from his. Laura's squares were well-loved, so I bought sheer organza to go over the top and sort of protect the older fabric. It was a nice idea, but I should have done those squares slightly larger, because they're so slippery and the fibers are looser so it comes out of the seams easily and is driving my nuts. I did the same overall pattern, and added these sweet love birds to a larger border and Amy Butler on the back.
Laura is really terrific. She's got good instincts and Mia's disposition is sweet and lovely. A mother and a daughter are a beautiful thing in this world. Mia is an absolute doll, and it's so fun to see my old friend being such a great mother. Being a first-time mom was so hard for me for the first few months. So much to learn and be afraid of.
I remember one night my milk was upsetting Rory and I didn't know why. I ate a quick banana around 1am because I was of course, starving. The next feeding later that night/morning he drank reluctantly, then immediately threw up banana-like barf all into my chest and nursing bra. Since I was so engorged, my bra made a nice pocket inbetween my rare mountains and I walked all the way down to the kitchen with nothing dripping out. Gross. Neither he nor any of my other babies have ever done that again. And it took me a while before I could look at bananas the same, I'll tell you.

1 comment:

erica e said...

i LOVE that bird fabric on the border. i've been so uninspired lately. i need a really good fabric shopping trip to shake the quilting dull-drums out of me.