Saturday, March 13, 2010

Monet's Dining Room

Mom, Me & Tracey in France 1999

Dear Blog World, it's time to share that my mother has terminal cancer.
Me in Front of Monet's Home

Skipping on the drama, I will say that when I turned 21, and was going through a difficult time myself, I went to Monet's home in Giverny, France with her and Tracey. (Leslie had just had a baby and we missed her a lot.) My mother is a very talented watercolor artist, and she loves all things art. I enjoyed being there with them to take in all that his house and gardens have to offer. This last weekend was the first time I've visited my mom in Portland since we found out the cancer had spread and become terminal. Her studio has many reminders of that trip, including a little shadow box of a miniature set of Monet's china I brought back for her when Paul and I went a few years later. And so, I've decided to do a quilt based on his dining room in honor of my mother.

I wanted to do something to honor her and all that she is, but frankly, she's a fairly complex person. I'm glad to have this idea of a symbol of something we both love. When life gets hectic or stressful or emotional, my first response is to quilt, I don't know about you. People ask me how I quilt so much and there's my secret. I have to.

6 comments:

Little Red Hen said...

Cutie Pie, my heart ached for you and I admit I shed a tear or two for you & yours. Thank goodness for quilting therapy. What a treasure you will be creating. Wish you the best:)

Reba said...

Oh I am so sorry! I will keep your mom and all of you in my prayers. I think you are wonderful, and this quilt will be beautiful on so many levels.

Elizabeth said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. We'll keep her (and you) in our prayers.

3inpink and 1inblue! said...

OH Kristin. I am so sorry for you and your family. I will keep you, the family, and your mom and dad in my prayers. I think that is neat you have a creative and emotional outlet. Love, Stacy

Pamela said...

My Mom told me a few weeks ago about your Mom. I am so sorry. I hope that through this difficult time your whole family can find peace. I know this quilt will comfort you and her.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry your Mom is such a nice lady...let me know if you need anything! I love you!