Monday, June 8, 2009

Dandelion Girl


Here's a quilt top just finished. The first in several months. I really enjoyed this pattern. The quilter really had to think to design it, and it felt like a fun turn on a log cabin block. I used a jelly roll of Dandelion Girl. This is the softest line I've bought of Fig Tree's, and I really loved working with her signature color pallette. It was calming and fun. I used Cozy Quilt Designs' Butterfly Blooms pattern. I like their style a lot, except the one on the pattern was done in batiks with black background, so it took some imagination to see the forest through the trees.
Also, I almost gave up tonight when I realized I had bought striped sear sucker for the border. I don't usually care for a quilt that's had a stripe border put on without mitering the corners. I think it looks lazy. And maybe tonight I am, but for the first time I just put it on. And I think it passes. Sear sucker, what a nightmare to quilt with though!

And, I agree with my friend Elizabeth - strip patterns always turn out with a smaller quilt than I'd like. This one is 65" square. Note to self: a pattern using only one jelly roll will not make a very big quilt.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I like this line. I made a quilt for my cousin, and used some of this line, I hadn't seen all of the different fabrics. I looks great. Thanks for the tip on the sear sucker and the jelly roll. Always good to know through someone else's experiences! Good luck with your other projects!!

erica e said...

very cool pattern. i love this fabric too. so soft and soothing.

Elizabeth said...

I love it! This is one of my favorite Fig Tree lines even though I usually like bolder colors. I love the way yours turned out!

Katte said...

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!!