Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Jeans Quilts

My mother's bucket list included one jeans quilt for each of her children. There are four of us. After we got done doing all four last week during a visit to Portland, I told her I'm glad she didn't have five children. She had saved 3-4 totes full of jeans from the 60's through the 90's. I have to say the older ones were cooler. Gap jeans from my era . . . super boring. Not even creative stitching colors. We ended up tying all of them, both because I wanted my children to have the experience of crawling under the quilt and helping, and because I was worried about how my long arm would take the thickness.

Three of the four designs were completely my mother, I just did what she wanted. It was fun to quilt with her, I don't think I've ever done that. She was a very good seamstress in her earlier days, my sisters even claim to have had to wear homemade undies.










3 comments:

Oleander said...

Wow, very cool. I have a ton of old denim that my dad saved for me, so i was just about to do this same idea.

Pamela said...

I luv jeans quilts. Especially when you know your the one who wore every pair!! What a fun week spent quilting with your Mom.

International Tease said...

Those are brilliant!!