Friday, August 19, 2011

Song of the Sparrow

Ever since Anne of Green Gables, I have loved The Lady of Shalott. I guess there was some drama Anne-style in me as well, because that scene was memorable for me. I remember when I was in England on a college trip and I saw John William Waterhouse's version in the Tate Gallery, I was captivated. So when I found out a young adult fiction writer had written a novel about the lady of Shalott before her famous boat ride, I jumped on it. Song of the Sparrow, by Lisa Ann Sandell, is a beautiful book written in prose. My eyes flew over her thoughtful lines and I really enjoyed reading this treasure. It's a book about struggle and family and friendship and new love. The kind of new love that was always there in front of you. This is one of my new favorite young adult fiction works and Sandell deserves all accolades coming her way.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I love Anne of Green Gables and my friend and I used to play The Lady of Shalott scene all the time! Now I need to read this.