I started this quilt three years ago and dutifully got all 50 tiny blue stars pieced and promptly put it all away. They drove me a little bit batty! I hadn't worked with reproduction fabric in a while and it wasn't feeding my creative juices. And then I got going on the Utah County Modern Quilt Group, and this one sat and sat. 2013 is my year to finish up the loose ends and I pulled this one back out again. It took me several weeks to get the granny blocks put together (she uses a rectangle method) and the borders on, but I am so glad I followed through.
The pattern is Amber Waves of Grain, earlier called Statehood, by Kaye England. Better Homes & Gardens Magazine did a tour of her studio years ago and she had a few of these blocks on her design wall. I tore out the page and tried to find her pattern. She had designed it so you could embroider the states' names and years they came into the Union on each one, but let's face it. A girl's got to keep it real and I don't enjoy hand work, mainly because I'm truly terrible at it.


No comments:
Post a Comment