Friday, July 19, 2013

US Map Turned Medallion


 
 
This US Map pattern took me so long, and I didn't have the heart to machine stitch around each state, so I put it away. Sometimes that's the best thing for a quilt. Note to self: carry that into other areas of my life. Then our Modern Quilt Group began doing medallions this session, so I decided to use a few borders that looked fun, but didn't mesh with my original modern medallion. The result was a lot of work!
 
The ribbon on top and bottom only was taken from an American Jane pattern, and the bricks was a simple picket fence that JoyLyn made into a 9-patch for her medallion. Let me tell you, this one is hairy to create. Especially when you add in the bleeding on both sides I did. I'm really happy with the result and I really feel like this is one better seen in person. The scrappy mix of all the polka dot fabrics is so homespun and wonderful. I just keep staring at them. I love choosing a theme, like polka dots, that helps fabric that wouldn't go together normally, create something new and unexpected.

No comments: