Thursday, February 21, 2013

Reproduction String Pieced


In January Amy Smart came to our Modern Quilt Group and shared some of her truly beautiful creations. It was all so inspiring, but she did hold one up that touched me more than the others. She had made a classic string pieced quilt using Halloween fabrics. Since I was working on my Amber Waves of Grain, I had been thinking about being done with my dwindling collection of reproduction fabrics. I love how Suze Orman teaches about getting rid of the old and unneeded, whether it be financial, emotional, or physical, to make room for you to draw the new and useful energy into your life. And I love the evolution that my quilting journey has taken me through. I remember doing my last Aunt Grace a few years ago. And now I'm done with this part of it too, and that's ok. This quilt was the perfect way to say thank you to this fabric genre, honor it by trying something new to me, and moving on.

I also really loved how liberated this method of quilting is. It's methodical in the pushing of strips and strips through the humming machine. It's really freeing to just stick fabrics wherever, not worrying about row lengths or even needing all of the rows to go all the way to the end. And especially not having to line up seams. 


I saved some of the scraps to make this little mini quilt for a friend in Belgium. I'm sure they don't get a lot of American colonial fabrics over there.


1 comment:

Angie said...

Ooooh this one is my most FAVORITE---I have to pin this one for inspiration :)