Friday, January 15, 2010

Quick Quilter's Tip

The picture on the last post was of over 100 blocks laid out on my living room floor. Some of you know that I have small children. Some of you do, too. And what looks like could have happened, did. But not by my youngest, who I was watching very, very closely. My five year old had a momentary lapse in judgement. He who loves my quilts more than the others and is very supportive for his age. He who knows death comes to disturbed blocks, rolled through that very room that very afternoon, not once, not twice, but many, many times in 60 seconds with his race cars. Shredding and wrinkling and shifting my blocks to kingdom come.

I was so mad no words would come, which was good, and I was also too mad to take a picture to post here. This is mostly why I get so many quilts done. I'm too afraid for their lives to leave them unfinished anywhere. Nowhere is safe. Trouble is always lurking. So here's my tip. Usually I don't label each block with a sticker because it wastes my precious time. I take a good picture of the entire quilt, print it out full size and put the paper under my clear sewing board to refer to as I bring each pile to the machine. A time saving idea, and also a life saving idea for my first born.

As a post script, said five year old was quietly sent to his room to play on his own until dinner was ready, and not yelled at, punished, or skinned alive.

1 comment:

Anna M. said...

That happens to me too, but by my cats. They love fabric...hiding under it, running across it, scratching at it...the list is endless. So, thank you for that tip! I'm defintely going to use it. I really like the way you laid out your blocks on point too! How's my quilt coming? Hopefully, it was square enough and didn't cause you too many headaches. I can't wait to see it, and everyone else, on Saturday! Let me know how much I owe you and I'll bring a check with me. :)