Thursday, November 13, 2008

UQG Salt Lake Area Meeting




Last week (I can't believe it's been a week already), my kind sister and I went to the Salt Lake Area monthly meeting of the Utah Quilt Guild. This covers 7 or 8 chapters in the SL area, and they meet monthly in the County Courthouse. I went to share a little about our long arm rental business with the ladies there, and showed a few of the samples for kits that I sell.



Here's me making a goony face while talking about how quilting will save the world. Not really, but don't I look like it? Man. There must have been 100 women there. Well, 40 at least, and they've all been quilting for decades longer than my 5 years, which until I went seemed like a long time to me. They all had some sort of hand work on their laps, and man were they good! I didn't ask if I could take any pictures, because I was just meeting them en masse, but they are talented women. Hard core quilters. Don't mess with them.

It was fun being exposed a bit to seasoned quilters (and I don't mean years, I mean quilt years). It made me think of my quilt group. We all lived in the same neighborhood and most of us have moved somewhere else. We all started about the same time, and I love how each of us has a slightly different style. We're in our late 20's-early 30's, and have over 30 babies all together. We've done exchanges annually, but it looks like that's increasing. I posted my exchange quilts in an older post, last month I think, if you'd like a peek. We don't have time to meet monthly, and I admire this group of women for doing it.

I like the herd mentality of women. I love that there's a line in our family budget called "Fabric". I appreciate that quilts keep me in touch with my group. I know that a sad day is turned around when I stare at a drawer of fabric that's all the same color for long enough. Or cutting a quilt out and having little 4" stacks on the counter. Whatever it is in this world, find your herd and stick with them. There is safety in numbers.

1 comment:

erica e said...

how cool that you went to this meeting. i wish i could have been there to hear you talk about how quilting can save the world! :)
i sure wish we could meet monthly. but all the same, i'm glad i've made my way into your herd.