Without embarrassing him, and with great humility, I'd like to tell you all a little bit about my father-in-law, since he has made our long arm business possible for us. I've been reflecting on the economy lately, as I'm sure most of us have, and it has made me think of the stories I've heard of his childhood years.
Owen Barrus was born in Grantsville, Utah, to a less than economically prosperous family. The details of their poverty have only been made known to me in the last year, and I've known him for a decade. Because of that, he is the biggest saver I know, and enjoys a comfortable and well deserved retirement in southern Utah, traveling to grandchildren when holidays come around.
Over the years, and during my husband's twenties, I've seen these two important men in my life grow closer together and be taught by one another. I've grown in love and respect for Owen, and have always felt that he's never treated me like his only daughter-in-law. Just a daughter to be loved and accepted.
I, myself, was raised in a religious household, centered on living our lives like Jesus Christ did. Service has always been at the top of the list, and never grudgingly. My husband was raised this same way, and few times in my life have I felt the Savior's love as strongly as our last visit to my in-laws. My father-in-law's insight, concern, love, left me speechless. I know plenty of people go to all kinds of churches searching for something to fill them. Something to fix them. Something to give them hope. And quite suddenly, Owen showed me and my family what a true follower of the Savior is like.
I know that in these times it's easy to want to ferret away our cash in boxes under our beds, or pass on things that truly are luxurious, whether well deserved or not. But I'm thankful for not only our benefactor's generosity, but the spirit in which he gives. Although his knowledge of quilting extends maybe only to the quilts he's seen me do, he and my mother-in-law both have complete faith in Paul and I and our ability to make quilting profitable for our family. And they're willing to help out.
If we all reach into ourselves and help those around us, whether family or not, asking or not, like our Savior did in the scriptures, I think our country, and possibly our world? could find a safe place that is grateful and full of understanding.
1 comment:
What a touching tribute to your father-in-law! Thanks so much for sharing and for inspiring me to do more! =)
Post a Comment