You know how some quilt magazines will feature a certain quilt celebrity's studio at home? You see lots of pictures of shelves filled with fat quarters and antique quilts. One I saw this last year caught a framed needlepoint that read, "Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens." I will attest to that.
Recently however, my oldest, who is getting big enough to hold fun conversations with me during moments with just the two of us, I enjoyed a little childlike insight I need to adopt more in my life. He was telling me how pleased his is that he can sing songs, particularly that he knows the words to Mama Mia, by Abba (every mother's dream come true, right?). Wanting to catch a teaching moment for once before it ran me over, I suggested that when he grows up he could become a professional singer if he'd like. He quickly responded, "Or I could be a singer right now."
Wow. Or he could just sing his heart out right now.
Sure, I could be a really great, detailed quilter when I'm older and have more patience, time, money, energy . . . or I could just do it right now. And be a great mom now. A great gardener now. Or whatever it is that we hold our collective breaths for until we've grown up. I'm going to take his advice and do it now. Who knows when I might grow up?
2 comments:
I don't want to grow up...so I need to do it all now! =)
what a wise little boy you have. :)
Post a Comment