My husband's family held their first ever family reunion in August at a lodge in Ashton, ID. It was a fun time for everyone, I think. (It's always hard to know with in-laws.) My mother and father-in-law had a wonderful time, and that's all that really matters to me. As a tribute to them, I decided to make a handprint quilt. One of the activities we did was getting everyone to do a brown paint handprint on a piece of muslin and sign it. 22 people (including the expecting mother for her baby) made one, and it was so fun!
My mother-in-law, who retired in St. George, picked out some fabrics in browns and salmon pink to match the rocks and mountains in the St. George area. I had no idea what it was going to look like, until the other night when I stayed up uncharacteristically late working on the layout. Shown is the center block. My sister-in-law had this image made representing each family, and we all wore matching t-shirts with this image on it one day of the reunion. (After all, no family reunion is complete without a day of matching!) I'm going to add pink sashing with tiny brown corner posts, sometime. Just before Christmas is my goal.
I learned a long time ago from my sister how to be a great gift-giver; the kind of gifts that are from the heart. And then a few years ago I learned from my mother-in-law how to love someone the way they need to be loved, not the way we think we should love them. She did that for my husband, and I have noticed an increase in our relationship since I started doing that for her. She is a sweet, kind woman and I'm thankful I married so well.
No comments:
Post a Comment