Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Book Review: My Grandfather's Blessings

My sister has this book on her to-read list, and I'm so thankful, because now I've been treated to it myself. I admit I checked it out last year and let it sit for three weeks on my nightstand willing myself to read it, but not wanting to get into something too cheesy for the soul. I guess I wasn't ready. And now I am. I'm half-way through and loving it enough to put out my review now. 

My Grandfather's Blessings, by Rachel Naomi Remen, is a fantastic book of very short chapters written by a cancer doctor who moved into therapy when she could see that healing souls was part of healing cancer. That dealing with all kinds of loss and pain needed to be addressed holistically. Her grandfather was an orthodox Jewish rabbi, and she sprinkles powerful lessons he taught her from her childhood over stories from her own life of growth, and moments in her clients' journeys as well. I am planning on buying this book to mark up. For me, it's very thought-provoking and emotion-provoking and I guess it's just what I need right now.

No comments: