My reading eyes have come back to me this year. Maybe 2012 is my year after all. Plus, our local library is finally starting to get some of the books on my to-read list, either paperback or digital. Hooray!
Recently I read I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced, by Nujood Ali & Delphine Minoui. I was nervous that there would be too many details of this young girl's tragedy, but I found that the book was inspiring and eye-opening, in a safe way for me. I read about her story last year in a National Geographic issue with child brides on the cover. I had remembered hearing about Nujood when she was in the news a few years ago, so the article particularly appealed to me. And the book even more.
It's not a long book, and the chronology is broken up in an interesting way that keeps the storyline clean. As a mother of a daughter, it was difficult to imagine this far away culture and the damage being done, and the co-author does a great job of not criminalizing an entire country for a rural tradition. I found myself wondering if I or my daughter would have had the courage to do what she did and be the first girl to leave and say no more. I truly hope more of them do.
No comments:
Post a Comment