At church I work with the teenage girls and their influence is rubbing off on all of us in countless ways. When asked to go to bed the other night, my almost four-year old growled, "I'm going Sister Barrus!" And my seven-year old was caught repeatedly singing the chorus of "Moves Like Jagger" by Maroon 5. I don't even want to explain what Jagger is to him, let alone hear him regurgitating catchy lyrics yet.
However, I did get encouraged to read the Fablehaven Series, by Brandon Mull and I loved it! This is a crisp, original, imaginative story about two siblings who spend some time at their estranged grandparents' house one summer, only to find out that their grandparents are the secret keepers of Fablehaven, a magical preserve full of good and sometimes bad magical creatures of every variety. They go on all kinds of adventures, culminating in the obligatory saving of the world, and I enjoyed going with them. It's clean and well written and has more than one surprise around the corner to keep you turning pages.
No comments:
Post a Comment