Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Book Review: Born Standing Up

This Kindle thing is really addicting. I recently read Born Standing Up, by Steve Martin. He's one of my favorite celebrities. I fell in love with his work when I saw The Jerk for the first time (and this chair, this lamp, this box of matches, and that's all I need!), probably younger than I should have. He kept them rolling through the 80's and 90's and now he's doing fantastic things with his banjo band, Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers. His novels are successful and it leads me to ask, is there anything Steve Martin can't do? (Enter feedback from his ex's.)

Born Standing Up is his story of reaching comic fame and I thought it was much more intellectually written than I expected from the man who put a cork on a fork and poked himself in the eye with it. His talent is just that, and this book is about a boy who grew up with the stereotypical detached father in the 50's, experienced the 60's way more than I thought man, and only did stand up successfully for a few years before he left on top and started movies and TV (just two wiiild and craaaaazy guys!). 

It's a character piece written by the main character. I enjoyed the pictures and the story of perserverance, but there were 3 f-words, over half-way into the book when I thought we were surprisingly in the clear, one of them ala Richard Prior. That one I would have excused.

3 comments:

Paul Barrus said...

Good old Navin Johnson. He was born a poor black child. Now look at him. He is in print. He is somebody...really somebody.

Thanks for the laughs

Elizabeth said...

I got a Nook in October. It is pretty addicting. Plus, you could easily drop a lot of money when you know you could have a fantastic new book without ever having to leave your house. I have to be really careful.

3inpink and 1inblue! said...

I have girls but here's what we read and loved! The Little House on the Prairie series (we read these out loud). I don't know if boys like them or not. Thanks for sharing. Come by my blog sometime and scroll all the way down to see what Alex and I read. I am in a family book club that meets quarterly. It's been fun. :0)