Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Bird Books

I've come across some really great bird books, both field guides and fic/non-fiction lately. A new field guide came out last year that rattled the cages of the bird world, and I gave it to Paul for Christmas. The Crossley ID Guide is different than other field guides in its size (coffee table-esque) and it's format. Various poses, gender and phases of the same bird have been photo-shopped into one scene of likely habitat for that bird. I really like it, because many birds are tough to identify, but many ornithologists didn't like what he did, because it was computer edited. I think it's the way things are going. It's also fun to look through with our own budding birders at home and keeps their attention. This guide is for Eastern birds, and since many cross over to our side, it's enjoyable for Western birders. A Western guide is reportedly in the works.

On a drive to St. George I started reading Life of the Skies, by Jonathan Rosen to Paul. While I haven't finished it yet, I am really enjoying his turn at birding on a philosophical level. He analyzes why people enjoy birding, in groups or alone, what birds really are to man, and how they factor in our religions and literature. It's deep and thoughtful and makes you feel like there really is something existential about this whole birding endeavor.

On the other side of the spectrum, is The Big Year, by Marc Obmascik; The one the 2011 movie was adapted from. I really enjoyed the movie and I loved the book even more. The movie changed ages of the birders, but the book is a great read for someone who wants to understand what this birding business is really all about, and keeps your attention with humor and fun facts. Greg Miller, portrayed by Jack Black in the movie version, is the keynote speaker at the Great Salt Lake Birding Festival and you can bet Paul and I will be there to hear him. Paul's even trying to get into the 10-member class that's going birding by ear with Greg. Cool. 

And in case your family wants a good outing this winter, Bald Eagle Day is next month, so anytime now is a great time to go to the Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area (1325 W. Glover Lane in Farmington) to get a look at between 100-200 bald eagles fishing for carp during their winter migration. What a majestic bird! It's free, everyone is very helpful, and you can stay in your car for the drive through loop, or stop and get out at a good vantage point. Afternoon is the best time to see the most eagles. Other waterfowl are there too, but to see this many of a bird that was almost extinct 30 years ago is exciting and impressive to me.

No comments: