Tuesday, September 29, 2009

We Broke 100!

Recently Paul and I reached the 100 bird mark on our list, not that we're watching for the numbers (as long as mine's higher than his). It's still mostly a combination of amazement at so many different kinds of birds, and the game of figuring out which one we're looking at exactly before our kids chase it away. Right now is fall migration, so birds we haven't seen since April are coming back through our area. It's exciting, if you're into that kind of thing.

One of the first birds I saw in January when I started birding right after Christmas was the Northern Flicker. I've been waiting to see it again this fall, so Paul could see it too, and now that it's back for a time, I think it's one of my favorite birds around. It's gray top feathers disappear when it flies because its under feathers are this great bronze orange color. Makes me think of the true strength of a woman. We've got something colorful and surprising underneath. Three flickers were actually fighting in one of the maples in our backyard and their calls sounded more like turkeys or grouse than a sapsucker/woodpecker kind of bird. Oh how I've missed them! So look up for bright orange flying overhead.

No comments: