Thursday, January 22, 2009


My last post reminded me of my state flowers quilt. I've had this fabric for ages, until I found the right flower pattern to use 2 years ago (33 pieces for each block, maybe not the best pattern). Then my friend Amy taught me how to embroider letters, and I stink! No big surprise there, also no reflection on her incredible abilities. I did 15 states, barely, and called it quits for over a year.

Well I'm not pregnant and not doing a new quilt, so I pulled this one out to finish in front of the TV while Paul travels. I've got 7 left, I'm so proud. The stitching is sketchy, but I did it myself and that feels good. I picked out a border this morning, which was tricky for this busy, granny flower quilt, so by this weekend it should be ready to top-quilt.

I also saw this quilt made up at Elaine's, and what a treat. I bought the pattern, which is saying something because I've already got so many, I'm more choosy now. I could do most of it with my newly organized scraps. If it becomes a 2009 project, I'll post along the way. The designer is a local woman, you gotta love that. It's called the Red Cross Quilt, because the little plus signs inside the 5" squares are all the same red. Really beautiful.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good husband traveling project! Jeff is traveling this week too so my goal is to finish an applique top.

Your stitching looks great! Did you stitch the letters before or after you put the blocks into the quilt?

erica e said...

i can't wait to see your finished state flowers quilt! what a great project!
and that pattern is going to be a beautiful quilt!
good stuff.