Friday, September 26, 2008

Sweet Friendship

One of my oldest Utah friends came to have a lesson on my long arm machine this week, and it was so fun. I was jazzed after she left, even though it was late, because sharing the creativity and chatting about friends and quilts was so energizing! Anna was such fun to share the machine with, and that's what I'm beginning to feel when people come to learn how to use it: it really is sharing! I keep telling my small children that they'll enjoy life more when they calm down and learn to share with each other, and I saw my own motherly advice come to fruition in adulthood. (What a relief that it's not all for nothing!) When I think of my love for my husband, and occasionally feel the old high school giddyness come back (I'm always relieved to find hasn't died forever!), I comment that if everyone in the world had someone to love like that there wouldn't be so many wars. Queue any number of Beatles songs. And not that quilting would save the world either, but I'm sure if there were something important to share with each other, and we did, we could all get along better too! Too bad it seems the US deficit is what we're all going to be sharing . . .

Anna was a natural at the machine, she really was. She'll tell you she wasn't, and she wants to practice more, but I can't believe how quickly she caught on. Not everyone does everything the same, and that's good. But having her over reminded me of what a breath of fresh air she is. She's a jack of many trades, and also an adored wife, which is always refreshing to see in real life. If it weren't for quilts, I'm not sure that I'd see her as often, and that makes me sad. It's important to share things in common with others, to extend those friendships and bind them (no pun intended!), but it's also important to have those personality traits or talents to share in the first place.

Sometimes Mormon women are downplayed in the media for being brainless, spineless, or lifeless. I'll admit some days I occasionally feel like if one more person under 4 feet tall asks me for something I'm going to scream. But surely that isn't limited to Mormon moms only. All moms need a break. And I firmly believe Mormon women to be intelligent, highly sought after, opinionated, and wonderful. But the point is to know what interests you so that when your break comes, however long or short, you know what you want to do, think about, or where to go. For me, it's to a sewing machine. Or to the long arm with friends. Just keep finding those things that keep you going too. And then find friends who feel the same way. They're out there.

2 comments:

Anna M. said...

Our minds are linked...I just posted about when I came to learn the machine...and what do I find now when I visit your site...you posted about it too! Thanks for the sweet things that you said about me...I am really glad that we have continued to be friends through the years. Thanks for everything! I'm so excited for tomorrow! =)

Christina said...

It was fun visiting the Loch Lomond Quilters show yesterday. All you ladies are so talented. The quilts were beautiful. I especially liked the Butterfly Dreams and the Bull's Eye. I appreciate all the nice things you said about Anna. She is a wonderful daughter and also very talented, beautiful and smart.