Well I did the Blue Goose Boutique last weekend, and here's what my booth looked like before my friend Mindy set her side up. I must say, I learned a lot about boutiques. There are some hard core vendors out there, and I am not one of them. Don't get me wrong, I care about my product, a lot, but I'm not ready to done safety goggles and get the cordless drill out to install my booth! I think that my family and friends would say there is a certain level of OCD that runs my life, but some things I just don't get that hyped up about. All in all it was a fun adventure, and at the very least I saw some really beautiful things from other moms who care about art and beauty.
I will say that I did enjoy working with Terri Grace, who has run the Blue Goose Boutique for 6 years now. She is kind, flexible, and has the whole process down pat.
Lehi has changed a lot in the last several years. I didn't grow up here in Utah, and the trips I would take for EFY or to visit family at BYU consisted of the long, boring drive from the airport WAY down to Provo, with the only highlight being the Lehi Roller Mills half way down, where Footloose was filmed. (It was hard to be 10 during the 80's and not get excited about Kevin Bacon shaking it on metal bleachers.) Then as I finished BYU myself, got married, and built a house in Saratoga Springs in 2001, I was surprised to find myself in this area (along with every other Utah County native who swore they would never live in Lehi, but do now because of the early affordable housing). I can talk of the many changes in the last 7 years a lot, but I'm not like the old timers who have generations here. They are loyal, protective, hard working, and they generally don't like change. I love The Meadows shopping area, it was hard when the building boom started without it all. But I can see how the congestion on Main Street and whatever politics is keeping it that way would be something to steer away from in the name of change.
Anyway, these are the people who love the Blue Goose Boutique. Terri said about 75% of her booths are return vendors, which is good for her, and says a lot about Lehi I think. It's fun to be a part of something that existed before me. When we first moved to Saratoga Springs it was still a whole lot of nothing, and many farmers were mad at their neighbors for selling out to developers. But I'm glad they did, because we were able to get into our first home. We made some great friends in that neighborhood, and now that I'm on the other side of Lehi I feel the same way. There is a definite history here, and some people don't want to move on, but I'm glad to be a part of the bridge. It's interesting to learn and respect what Lehi is, and I'm happy to be a part of what Lehi is becomming. Let's just hope that's a good thing.
1 comment:
Hi!
I used to go to the Blue Goose Boutique, but then I got out of 'crafts' and started quilting more. I hadn't seen any quilt booths when I had gone, so it held no interest for me. But now, as you say, they do have stuff for quilters, I may have to start going again! I learned something new! Thanks!!
Post a Comment