Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Stash Buster

I'm starting to get sick of my scraps. Does anyone else ever get that way? I'm trying to be frugal and use what I've got, but I'm ready for a color palette change! Leslie has just been here for a visit, and I especially want to go out and buy different fabrics after I've seen what she's done, because her fabric choices are always so inspiring and different from what I choose.
This quilt pattern is called Modern Mix, by Mabeth Oxenreider in the June 2007 American Patchwork & Quilting. Below is her original, done in jewel toned Bali Hand-Dyed Watercolors by Hoffman Fabrics. I'm finding I tend to gravitate towards her patterns in this magazine. She's a solid designer with well done patterns. This is maybe my most unevenly done quilt. Cutting triangles out of strips didn't always line up for me, and triangles always move so much when being sewn. So I'm not happy with how the pieces went together technically, but I'm glad it's done and didn't cost me anything.

4 comments:

erica e said...

i love your scrappy reinterpretaion! i wouldn't have thought to redo it with scraps rather than batiks. in fact, i really don't like batiks and would have stupidly just said 'ho hum' and turned the page when i saw it in the magazine. i know what you mean about being tired of your scraps. too bad we don't live close enough to dive into each other's scrap bags.

JoyLyn said...

Beautiful quilt miss perfectionist! You are truly gifted in pattern choice and fabric, even if you consider them scraps. Great inspiration for me! Thanks

heyjackieday said...

What a fun pattern! Hey, if you have any bug stuff in your scraps, save me a little so I can do one of those bug jar quilts. All I have thus far is some frog stuff. Missed you at the Springville show!

International Tease said...

I love this quilt!! I love the controlled chaos--it's absolutely fantastic!