This must have been a busy winter, because my to-read list on goodreads got much longer and I didn't get to very many of them. Here's the ones that I would pass on that are mostly read:
- Rapunzel's Revenge, Shannon & Dean Hale - I loved this graphic novel. I've been looking into more and more so maybe I'll do a post just on this genre sometime. The illustration in this was brilliant and the story was different enough to hold our attention. Looking forward to buying Calamity Jack, the next in the series.
- Fatal Shore, Robert Hughes - a very long, very complete history of Australia. Still reading, but glad to be. Convict Colonialism was more than my curiosity could handle.
- George Washington's Secret Six, Brian Kilmeade - in my defense, my dad, who we bought this book for at Christmas, liked this a whole lot more than I did. Cool idea, written like a textbook. I miss David McCullough.
- The Disappearing Spoon, Sam Kean - the back stories of discovery, wars, romance, competition of the periodic table of elements. One chapter made me think of college Chemistry (not a pleasant experience), but the rest was funny and thought-provoking and I wish I had a photographic memory for all of it.
- The Anatomy of Peace, The Arbinger Institute - this book needs its own post. A pretty cheesy setting of parents of wayward teens in an anasazi type wilderness survival experience, learning about why we fight with others and why some relationships are difficult. I am still learning from this book, two months after reading it.
- My Man Jeeves, P.G. Wodehouse - the original Jeeves the butler, whom all stereotypes are based on. Short stories of inept lords and ladies and their faithful butler saving the day. Repeatedly. I loved it.
- The Art Detective, Phillip Mould - true stories of a British art dealer and his adventures in discovering over-painting to masters' work, lost art attributed to the wrong artist, and his own storied career. Looks like BBC is/already did make this into a TV show. I'm enjoying it way more than I thought I would. Makes me miss Simon Schama.
2 comments:
I liked the anatomy of peace also! I haven't read any of the others but love Shannon Hale's books.
I last read the Anatomy of Peace more than a year ago and am still learning from it!
Post a Comment