Hillenbrand, of Seabiscuit fame, is also a partner in a charity for children with Gary Sinese. Do you need any other reason to read her? I loved Unbroken anyway. Louie Zamperini, forgive me for not hearing about you sooner. A scrappy thief in his early years, (I would have sold him to the gypsies), an Olympic runner by 19, joined the military during WWII. The back story is so entertaining and unbelieveable, you fall in love with him. And then his bomber crashes into the Pacific Ocean. After 47 days adrift, which could have been the story alone, he is taken by the Japanese and tortured until the end of the war.
The whole time I'm thinking, please don't end the book when he gets released. And she didn't! For me, survival stories begin in a way, when the person's agony ends and they have to live a life after. Zamperini's struggle to rest his demons, find Christ, forgive, and teach other young men is amazing. He carried the Olympic torch 5 times afterward, including past one of this former camps in Japan.
No comments:
Post a Comment