Thursday, January 20, 2011

Melting Crayons

Last month my niece posted about melting crayons on her blog. I loved the idea, plus, I've always wondered if there wasn't something better to do with the broken bits of crayon scattered around the house than tossing them. We easily rounded up enough for the project. I bought a rubber baking tray at Joanne's ($7 after the 40% off coupon) and everyone had a great time putting their favorite colors together in the cups. We cooked them for less than 10 minutes and the colors were so pretty! And once cooled off, they popped right out. We wrapped them in clear celophane and the kids took them around to their friends for a New Years gift.
Hint: the silver was my favorite and I'd put a piece in each one next time, but be careful, it took longer than the other colors to melt. And I'd fill them more next time, they melted pretty small.

2 comments:

Chantalle said...

So cute! We didn't do silver, that's a good idea. Agreed on the filling them more, though I'm not sure how since we filled it to the brim and it still cooked waaaay down.

erica e said...

fun project!