Thursday, July 2, 2009

New Fabric, Old Fabric

Today I went to get binding, and of course, found fabric I hadn't come for. This is the cutest boy fabric I've found in a while, so I bought some to tuck away. I also found the below piece from the Golden Books line. It's that familiar gold binding on The Pokey Little Puppy, Scuffy the Tugboat, The Saggy, Baggy Elephant, and so on. I remember lining the books up on my shelf and running my fingers along the matching spines. And now I can do the same thing with this fabric.
The binding I was looking for was for a restoration project. I'm sure there's more to the story with these sheets, but at some point circa 1970's, they were tied into a quilt. I noticed both machine and a bit of hand quilting when I was taking it apart 30 years later. It was always the picnic quilt scrounged at the last minute, or in the back of someone's car. We ended up with it, I think I had it in college. I put clean batting in it, quilted it up this afternoon, and machine sewed the binding on. It's got new life, and will last through even more picnics now.


As a side note, I wish someone, (Denyse Schmidt maybe?) would resurrect the old sheet designs from the 60's and 70's in new fabric lines. Maybe they all feel like they are, but I haven't seen pieces quite like this yet.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I think my parents have a quilt made of that same fabric that my grandma hand quilted. I wonder where it is now?

I love that little boy fabric. I've noticed quite a bit of cute boy fabric lately. Brooks in Bountiful has a lot, more than anyone else I've seen. It makes me want to start a collection so I have some when needed. I also love the Little Golden Book fabric.

cheryl said...

i totally remember that quilt from our BYU days-it looks great even now:) hope you are doing well-let's get the kids together some time to play.

Katte said...

Where did you find that boy fabric? It's too too CUTE!!!

I have sheets from Todd's grandma that are just sitting on the shelf (like everything else). I couldn't tell from the pic, but is there any piecing done on the "sheet" quilt? I really need to figure out what to do with them. :)