Saturday, January 19, 2013

Books Worth Passing Around

Here are some other new books I've read lately that I enjoyed and thought were valuable enough to pass on:

  • I'm 6 books into the Mary Russell series, by Laurie R. King (Beekeeper's Apprentice was the first one): Mary is a great partner to Sherlock Holmes in his older years.
  • Madame Tussaud, by Michelle Moran: historical fiction about the world's most famous wax artist and the French Revolution.
  • Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, by Grace Lin: she also illustrates this YA novel beautifully, a classic story of a girl who travels far to find she had everything she needed inside of her all along, with an asian twist. I loved the stories within the story.
  • Shadow and Bone, by Leigh Bardugo: a first in a series, Eastern Block fictional countries at war with a girl who is discovering her magical powers set to save the world. Eh, I liked it.
  • Jefferson's Sons, by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley: a fictional take on what-if's about Jefferson's sons sired by Sally Hemmings, with accurate historical details around them. Really thought-provoking YA novel I hope my kids read when they're older.
  • I'm also breathless about the Lady Emily Ashton series by Tasha Alexander (And Only to Deceive was the first one here): Victorian English lady loses new spouse tragically and discovers depth she didn't know she had - isn't that always how it goes - and trails around the world solving antiquities/art crimes/murders. I do love these.
  • And Then There Were None, Agatha Christie: my first novel by the leading lady of mystery. It was quick and I liked it. The end.
  • The Willoughby's, by Lois Lowry: maybe I'm hooked on INT/YA books right now, but this one made my all-time fav's list. So funny story about 4 children with terrible parents, a super nanny, and one sweater to share. I read it aloud to my kids and we all laughed the whole way through it.
Please do let me know what you're reading and loving. I'm always in search of more to read. If you want to see what I'm hoping to read in the future, feel free to browse my to-read list on goodreads.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I always like to see what you are reading because I always need new books. Right now I'm reading Les Miserables and loving it, but I need to get some lined up for when I'm done. I just read The Light Between Oceans and liked it, not one of my favorites though.