Saturday, October 23, 2010

Magazine Scraps


Apparently, I don't just collect fabric scraps. I collect magazine scraps about fabric as well, which after watching a few hoarders on cable, encourages me to stay organized. Of course, those people probably thought they were organized, too. One of the pages I kept was an article in Better Homes & Gardens Patchwork & Quilting magazine about Kaye England and her studio. I love these pieces, because we get to go inside the homes and studios of the people I love. And you know what? Their spaces are always such a perfect reflection of who they seem to be. Plus, who wouldn't want a design studio like theirs?
On the wall in Kaye's studio (in my picture - on the right), was this fantastic quilt in progress. The caption said it was a pattern she was working on called Statehood. I was mesmerized, so I kept that page. I'm ready to try it out, so I searched her site and she finished it! She ended up calling it Amber Waves of Grain, and I ordered the pattern. Good thing I did. The pieces are TINY!!!! She said it took her seven years and I can see why. Those little stars, seven of forty nine done, are 4" small! The good news is it doesn't take many scraps.
I'm excited to be doing a traditional, quilty-quilt. I'll keep updating you on my progress, but don't hold your breath. I'm in no rush.

1 comment:

erica e said...

that's going to be beautiful!

but really i just had to laugh at you mentioning the inspiration you've gained from watching the hoarders shows! every time i watch one of those i always end up doing dishes or other neglected chores right after i turn off the tv. nothing like seeing other people's filth that motivates me to clean up a little of my own! and i've decided that an organized stash of fabric that isn't taking over my home DOES NOT make me a hoarder!